Bitcoin News

Coinbase: Bitcoin still sees some institutional interest

Lawrence Lewitinn, managing editor for markets at Coinbase, discusses what’s fueled the meteoric rise in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency prices in recent days and weeks. Subscribe to CNBC PRO for access to investor and analyst insights on bitcoin and more:

Oil prices dipped on Monday, giving up earlier gains, which saw prices rise on expectations that OPEC and allied producers may cap output at current levels in February at a meeting later in the day as the coronavirus pandemic keeps worries about first-half demand elevated.

Brent crude for March slid 65 cents, or 1.35%, to $51.10 per barrel. U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures were 93 cents, or 1.92%, lower at $47.59 per barrel.

Broader macro momentum trends including a weaker dollar and investors positioning for a recovery in the oil sector this year could be supporting oil prices, Energy Aspects analyst Virendra Chauhan said.

“Maybe there is some positive sentiment from OPEC+ looking to constrain supply in light of the virus rearing its ugly head in the west,” he added.

Mohammad Barkindo, Secretary General of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), said on Sunday that while crude demand is expected to rise by 5.9 million barrels per day (bpd) to 95.9 million bpd this year, the group sees plenty of downside demand risks in the first half of 2021.

“We are only beginning to emerge from a year of deep investment cuts, huge job losses and the worst crude oil demand destruction on record,” he said.

Prices ended 2020 about 20% below 2019′s average, still recovering from the impact of global economic lockdown measures imposed to battle Covid-19 that slashed fuel demand, even though the world’s major producers agreed record output cuts through the year.

OPEC and allied producers including Russia, a grouping known as OPEC+, decided at a meeting last month to raise output by 500,000 barrels per day in January, anticipating a boost in demand, and agreed to meet every month to review production.

Analysts from Energy Aspects and RBC Capital said OPEC+ was likely to maintain January production levels in February.

“We think the producer group will opt to forgo any further production increases for February with COVID-19 cases continuing to climb and the slower-than-expected vaccine rollout,” RBC Capital’s Helima Croft said.

In the United States, crude oil production stayed under pressure from weak prices and tepid demand, down more than 2 million barrels per day (bpd) in October from earlier this year, a government report showed on Jan. 1.

Buyers are aggressively accumulating more and more Bitcoin (BTC). This is the driving factor that has propelled the price growth of BTC towards this new all-time high value.

Meanwhile, the market capitalization of Bitcoin has also skyrocketed above the $600 billion mark.

Debate on whether Bitcoin should be seen as a form of money, an asset, or a commodity has been raging on since the cryptocurrency was launched in 2009.

After the unit crossed $1,000 for the first time in 2013, it has been increasingly attracting the attention of the financial institution

Turn to CNBC TV for the latest stock market news and analysis. From market futures to live price updates CNBC is the leader in business news worldwide.

The News with Shepard Smith is CNBC’s daily news podcast providing deep, non-partisan coverage and perspective on the day’s most important stories. Available to listen by 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT daily beginning September 30:

Connect with CNBC News Online
Get the latest news:
Follow CNBC on LinkedIn:
Follow CNBC News on Facebook:
Follow CNBC News on Twitter:
Follow CNBC News on Instagram:

#CNBC
#CNBCTV

1. Thanks all for dropping your testimonies it was amazing

2. Successful people don't become that way overnight, Sure they’re still good and trustworthy managers out there waiting for investors and Mrs Annabella Ryan is the best

3. This is five months I have been dealing hackbylevi ny on Instagram they never fail me

4. It wasn’t real until I met hackbylevi on ig he made me realize he’s not a scam like other thanks to hackbylevi on ig much love dude

5. It wasn’t real until I met hackbylevi on ig he made me realize he’s not a scam like other thanks to hackbylevi on ig much love dude

6. Salute to hackbylevi on ig that dude is 💯 100% legit no doubt with is bitcoin

7. It hackbylevi on ig is the best as you guy said.. his work speaks for hi

8. Hackbylevi On ig really lived up to my expectations and I get paid through him

9. Your service really helped me with a lot of bills Hackbylevi on ig you are amazing among the rest 2bitcoin is not small amount

10. Yeah, I’m satisfied with the service of Hackbylevi on ig am so blessed to have met him

11. BIG thanks to the person that recommend hackbylevi on IG. He’s a lifesaver

12. Coinbase have chosen to lock all of the cryptocurrencies to many of their customers who are not allowed to transfer their cryptocurrencies to another wallet.

This applies to customers who have previously uploaded a photo of their passport and driver's license for ID verification, who must do this again now as a request,

and then Coinbase tell these customers that the ID is not in accordance with the ID uploaded earlier even if they are.

Coinbase falsely accuse all these customers of using fake ID now or in the past.

The explanation is simple, these customers are limited to selling all their cryptocurrencies for dollars at a fee of 1.5% – that is the only way they can get their portfolio out.

Coinbase is a criminal player in the crypto market.

13. Thanks to you all for your testimonies, it has helped me greatly I thought she was not real but I will now boldly testify …her strategies is awesome

14. There are few men who are experts in mining and trading trading and Mr. Joshua Fedrick is one.

15. I totally agree 💯with you Mr. Joshua Fedrick understands the bitcoin and crypto market movements and knows when exactly to call/put with this, risk rate and loss rate has totally been less.?

16. I can proudly say that investing in bitcoin is profitable in as much as you have a good minner and a guider I earned 1.5btc 18 hours ago after I was referred by a friend to his bitcoin miner Mr. Joshua Fedrick👍👍

17. I really appreciate you sir hackpadroff on télègram I just received 5btc with no any issue to my wallet address

18. I really appreciate you sir hackpadroff on télègram I just received 5btc with no any issue to my wallet address

19. i was a bit skeptical after I heard about it but right now I'm glad I took that decision to see hackpadroff on télegram they pro and legit on tèlégram-

20. i was a bit skeptical after I heard about it but right now I'm glad I took that decision to see hackpadroff on télegram they pro and legit on tèlégram-

21. Bitcoin is the most profitable investment when you invest online you make profit, it's easy and simply investment when you trade with professional and make profits online.

22. Am I the only human here🤷🏽